What is the tax return deadline in Ireland?
If you earn untaxed income as a self-employed individual or from rental properties, or even if you are employed but earn an income that’s outside of your PAYE role, it’s important to complete and submit a self-assessment tax return every year, before the deadline. If you don’t, you could be subject to penalties. On this page, you’ll learn about the updated tax return deadline, what may happen if you miss the deadline and the key dates you need to know this tax year.
What's on this page
When do I need to submit my tax return?
If you need to do a tax return, the deadline for submitting it for the Irish tax year (1st January to 31st December) is midnight on 31st October 2022 if you’re submitting your return on paper. If you’re submitting your return via the Revenue’s Online Service (ROS), the deadline is normally mid-November.
If you submit your return via ROS, you will also need to pay your income tax in full by mid-November.
Want to know more about savings?
Subscribe to our newsletter for savings news and insights and get notifiedabout the latest offers at Raisin, including the following:
Be the first to hear about the latest banks and savings accounts at Raisin
Don't miss out on legendary limited availability market-leading* savings accounts
Gain insights into growing your money
Confirm email address
Open your email inbox and click the link in the email we just sent you. Please also check the spam folder.
What happens if I miss the tax return deadline?
If you fail to submit your tax return on time, you could receive the following penalties:
- If you submit your return between 31st October and 31st December, you’ll pay a surcharge that’s the lesser of 5% of your tax due, up to €12,695
- If you submit your return after 31st December, you’ll pay a surcharge that’s the lesser of 10% of your tax bill, up to €63,485
Important dates in the 2021 tax year
you need to know
The most important date in the Irish tax year if you need to complete a self-assessment tax return is the 31st October. By this date, you must:
- Pay any preliminary tax you owe for that year
- Submit your self-assessment tax return for the previous tax year (i.e. on 31st October 2022, you’ll submit your tax return for 2021)
- Pay off any outstanding tax from the previous year